Verona, Virginia is a small city located in Augusta County, with a population of approximately 6,000 people. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Virginia. The city is situated near the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River, giving it a unique geography. The climate in Verona is mild, with hot summers and cold winters that often include snowfall.
The city’s history dates back to the late 1700s when it was first settled by European immigrants. During the American Revolution and Civil War, Verona served as an important military outpost for both sides of the conflict. Today, Verona is known for its vibrant economy which includes agriculture, manufacturing, tourism, and technology industries.
Education has been a cornerstone of life in Verona since 1878 when Augusta Female Seminary was established there. Today there are several public schools in the area including Wilson Elementary School and Verona High School which are part of Augusta County Public Schools system. In addition to these public schools there are two private schools: Covenant Christian Academy and Staunton Montessori School.
Verona boasts several landmarks such as the historic Stonewall Jackson Shrine which consists of three buildings including his original home and office along with other artifacts from his life; Augusta Military Academy; and The Glen Burnie Historic House Museum which was built in 1819 by General George S Patton’s great-grandfather. Other popular attractions include Mosby Cave Park which offers hiking trails; Thornrose Cemetery; and DeJarnette Park which features tennis courts and playgrounds for children.
Males: 1,798 (49.4%), Females: 1,840 (50.6%)
Zip code: 24482
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $36,263
Median house value: $92,800
Races in Verona:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.5%)
- Black (3.2%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
- Chinese (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (19.9%), German (16.3%), English (12.1%), Irish (5.7%), Scotch-Irish (4.0%), Dutch (3.0%).
Elevation: 1280 feet
Land area: 7.0 square miles
Neah Verona, Virginia is a small town located in the Shenandoah Valley region of Virginia, with a population of approximately 1,800 people. The town is situated between two major cities, Charlottesville and Harrisonburg, both of which are about an hour away. The town has a charming and historic downtown area, with businesses including restaurants, shops and galleries. The surrounding countryside is beautiful and rural, with plenty of outdoor activities available for visitors and locals alike.
The cost of living in Neah Verona is quite affordable. Housing costs are lower than the national average; one-bedroom apartments typically rent for around $800 per month while larger homes can rent for up to $1,500 per month. Groceries are also relatively inexpensive; basic items like milk and eggs cost around $2-$3 each. Utilities such as electricity and water are also reasonably priced compared to other parts of the country. Gasoline prices tend to be slightly higher than the national average but still quite reasonable overall. Other costs such as dining out or entertainment are also quite affordable in Neah Verona; most restaurants offer meals for under $20 per person and there are plenty of local events to enjoy at no cost or low cost.
For population 25 years and over in Verona
- High school or higher: 78.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 1.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Verona CDP
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 60.0%
- Separated: 3.8%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 13.7%
0.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Verona:
- WESTERN STATE HOSP (about 7 miles; STAUNTON, VA)
- WESTERN STATE HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; STAUNTON, VA)
- AUGUSTA MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; FISHERSVILLE, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Verona:
- SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL (about 10 miles; STAUNTON/WAYNESBORO/HARRIS, VA; Abbreviation: SHD)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE-ALBEMARLE (about 39 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Abbreviation: CHO)
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 63 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; Abbreviation: LYH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Verona:
- EAGLE’S NEST (about 11 miles; WAYNESBORO, VA; Abbreviation: W13)
- BRIDGEWATER AIR PARK (about 13 miles; BRIDGEWATER, VA; Abbreviation: VBW)
- NEW MARKET (about 38 miles; NEW MARKET, VA; Abbreviation: 8W2)
Amtrak station near Verona:
- 6 miles: STAUNTON (1 MIDDLEBROOK AVE.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Verona:
- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; HARRISONBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 14,447)
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 35 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 19,602)
- PIEDMONT VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,012)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,063)
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,348)
- LONGWOOD COLLEGE (about 75 miles; FARMVILLE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,557)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 76 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)
Public primary/middle school in Verona:
- VERONA ELEM. (Students: 405; Location: 1011 LEE HWY; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Verona:
- HUNTER MCGUIRE SCHOOL (Students: 98; Location: 74 QUICKS MILL RD; Grades: KG – 5)