West End Historic District in Dallas (Dallas, USA) — description, history, location, reviews, photos and videos.
The West End Historic District covers an area of 27 hectares in the northeastern part of the downtown. It traces its history back to 1872. True, then it was just a trading post, founded after the arrival of the Houston and Texas Railroad in the city. The architecture of the West End was determined mainly by large warehouses, which were built here by manufacturing companies.
The neighborhood gained national importance in 1960 when President Kennedy was shot dead in Dealey Plaza. This event brought massive attention to the West End. Nevertheless, he was still far from prosperity, as many companies moved from the city center to the outskirts due to the high cost. See acronymmonster for nickname of Texas.
The area was revitalized in 1976. Old warehouses and other brick buildings were turned into restaurants and shops. And in 1978, the area was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Whether it’s the Kennedys or something else, more than 7 million people visit the West End every year lately, making it one of the city’s top tourist attractions.
The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Memorial was erected in the West End in 1970 by renowned architect and friend of the Kennedy family, Philip Johnson.
The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Memorial was erected in the West End in 1970 by renowned architect and friend of the Kennedy family, Philip Johnson. This is a fairly simple concrete building, which stands on the square where the president’s life ended. The memorial is a square hall without a roof with sides 15 by 15 m and 9 m high. Johnson created the cenotaph (open tomb) which symbolizes Kennedy’s free spirit.
Unlike most city monuments, the construction of the Kennedy Memorial was funded entirely by the people of Dallas.
Aquarium “Dallas World”, combined with the zoo, was opened in 1992 in an old warehouse building built in 1924. In 1997, the Orinoco – Secrets of the River exhibition was opened in the adjacent warehouse building, and they were connected by an alley that became a separator between freshwater and marine expositions. The top level of the zoo is an artificially recreated Orinoco rainforest where birds fly freely. The lower level is an aquarium with fish, corals, jellyfish, anemones and other marine life from around the world. There is also a 12 m long tunnel where you can get up close and personal with the fish of the continental shelf.
Also in the West End are the Dallas Holocaust Museum/Education and Tolerance Center and the Sixth Floor Museum in the building where Presidential shooter Lee Harvey Oswald stood.
Another attraction of the West End is the wonderful castle-like Old Red, the former county courthouse, which today houses a museum.
The West End Historic District of Dallas is north of Commerce, east of I-35E, west of Lamar, and south of the Woodall Rogers Freeway. It lies south of Victory Park, west of the Arts District and City Center, north of the Government District and Reunion.
You can get to the area by light rail trains on the blue, red and green lines (West End station).
Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge
Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
This Dallas bridge spans the Trinity River and was built as part of the Trinity River Project. The bridge was designed by the notorious Santiago Calatrava. The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge was the first of three planned – the second of these, the Margaret McDermott Bridge, is currently under construction. The Calatrava Bridge runs parallel to the Continental Avenue Pedestrian Bridge.
Construction on the bridge began in 2007. The track connected Spur 366 (Woodall Rogers freeway) downtown to Singleton Boulevard in West Dallas. This is a cable-stayed bridge with a total length of 570 m, the length of the main span of which is 365 m, and the height at the highest point is 122 m. noticeable elements of the Dallas landscape (it can be seen from several sides for many kilometers from the city).
In 2010, the 40-story-high main arch was topped with a central curved span that will now be one of the most visible elements of the Dallas landscape.
The bridge opened in 2012 in the most solemn way: with a parade, fair, live concerts, fireworks.
The declared cost of construction was 117 million USD.
Parallel to the Margaret Hunt Hill Road Bridge is the Continental Avenue Bridge, now for pedestrian use. It was built as a transport viaduct Lamar-McKinney in 1933 and by 2010 fell into complete disrepair. At this time, they began to repair the Continental Avenue itself, and at the same time it was decided that there was no longer a need to use the bridge for traffic if the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge stood nearby. Therefore, the old bridge was converted into a footbridge, which is very in harmony with the nearby Clyde Warren Park built around the same time. 2014 saw the opening of the renovated Continental Avenue Bridge, complete with a playground, water park, lounge chairs, giant chess set, and a shade canopy.
The easiest way to get to the bridge is from Singleton Boulevard.